Sunday, January 22, 2012

beauties + smoothies

Here it is! The drink that started it all! This smoothie has transformed my so-called "healthy" eating habits and has given me a freshly grounded, natural, and clean outlook on food. 3 weeks ago, I was on the downward spiral of drinking 4 cups of coffee from the pot in the morning, then visiting the local baristas for my afternoon triple shot of espresso pick me up. Lucky for me, the one gift that I wanted for Christmas was a Vitamix. . . and I got it!! The following day, I began reading The Beauty Detox Solution by Kimberly Snyder and it seriously knocked my socks off! From that minute on, I began drinking her Glowing Green Smoothie. It promised to give me the energy that I was desperate to have and melt away the love-handles that decided to pop out from my pants this past year. Let me tell you. . . the sceptic that I am of diet fads I wasn't expecting too much. But I was amazed at the energy that I had and didn't even think about coffee anymore! I broke free from the espresso chains and ran wildly towards this green dancing machine. This isn't a weight loss drink, it is a high kick and drop into the splits, feel your best liquid yumminess. Try it! I promise you will feel amazing and look radiant. After you finish your first drink, your body is going to sing to the mountains and do your best booty shake, shuffle, and pose. . . (I am picturing that scene in The Sound of Music when she sings "the hills are alive")



Ingredients (64 ounces / 2-4 servings)

  • 1 ½- 2 cups very cold, filtered water
  • 6 cups spinach, chopped
  • 5 cups organic romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 2 stalks of organic celery
  • 1 organic apple, cored and chopped
  • 1 organic pear, cored and chopped
  • 1 organic banana
  • 1–2 Tbs. fresh organic lemon juice
  • Optional Ingredients
  • Ice cubes (the extra coldness can help newbies with the taste)
  • 1/2 cup of organic cilantro
  • 1/2 cup of organic parsley

Directions

Add water, spinach and chopped romaine to the blender. Starting the blender on a low speed; mix until smooth.
Gradually move to higher speeds and add the herbs, celery, pear, and apple. Add the banana and lemon juice last.
*For 1 serving, cut out one of the fruits and the celery.

4 comments:

  1. Laura! Josh and I just got a vitamix and we have been drinking concoctions from it everyday! We are doing a 21 day cleanse and eating only clean whole foods. No wheat, no caffeine, no alcohol and no processed foods. Just fruits, veggies, fish, chicken, lentils and very occasionally brown rice. I started a blog for our friends and family that are doing the cleanse along with us to follow, and many of them are having a hard time kicking the coffee habit. I will def. share this post for them - very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing!! I am so proud of you and your family for sticking to the cleanse. . . . it's a toughie! You are so blessed to have a support system and love the idea of a blog to keep you all inspired! We have a ton of vegan, gluten free, all natural, and raw recipes up our sleeves! Can't wait to share them with you :)

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! We love green smoothies over here. If you use a frozen banana it does wonders for the texture and you might not need even need the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree!! I make mine at night and stick it in the freezer so that it is ready for me to grab at 5am on my way to work!! I love freezing bananas for smoothies---- makes them so smooth and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete